Village

As Joshua turned one, it was very clear to me that this marked a milestone not just for him but for all of us. I often complained about the challenges of having a post natal disorder but truth be told, it taught me a lot about learning to accept love, help and care from others. It taught me that I can't control everything. It taught me that I had to lay down my pride and not try to do it alone. It taught me that Joshua had a village, but hey, I did too. I realised we're all part of that village and sometimes that means receiving what you feel you don't deserve. Oh what grace. What beautiful grace.

One year with Josh and my morning hair is still untameable (post-baby regrowth is a real thing).

Hi everybody!
And so this year, I decided we wouldn't have a big fancy party. Instead, I painted cards and wrote a poem to our parents who have been our main supports. I'm sharing it here because I know that there are so many out there who have played a part (big and small but all important) in our journey and continue to do so. So thank you. Thank you for the messages, the check-ins, the favours, the food, the kind words, the prayers, the thoughts, the doing life together. Thank you for raising us into better parents. We honour you.


It Takes A Village

There's an old saying
A familiar adage
That to raise a child
It takes a village

Cheh! I thought
Early on, I'd manage
After all, he's a baby
Not a savage

But a year older
A year wiser
I admit that
I do know better

This motherhood journey's
Not meant to be lonely
We go further
When we go together

You've shown us love
When you've cared for Joshua
Every meal cooked and fed
Every change of diaper

Every 30 mins of play
So we get a breather
Every song sung
So he knew that he mattered

Every prayer prayed
For his health and his heart
Every tear you have wiped
It all plays a part

Josh is so blessed
To be part of this family
Who laughs with and cuddles
And teaches him patiently

In both actions and words
What it means to love another
Even when at times
We fail as father and mother

We are grateful to God
For his grace shown through you
Who have helped us, encouraged us
and sometimes pushed us through

We've learnt so much
From first watching you
And it's clear as day
So we finally conclude:

That as it takes a village
To raise a bubba,
It also takes a village
To raise a dada and mama.









Comments

  1. Beautiful, Kristy! Happy first birthday Joshua, and happy days to all of you! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful and so genuine! It truly takes a kampung to raise a child. You've made it and a pat on both of your shoulders too. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts