Sway

Not too long ago, I was reading an article by a mum who highlighted how babies will not remain babies forever. They grow up. They learn to be independent human beings who hopefully, are then able contribute to in some positive way in the world.



They won't need us forever, and I guess that's the bittersweet part. Everything ends. The mundane changing of diapers, the feedings, the carrying, the holding to sleep. There will be a last time for everything.

Today, Josh was struggling with his nap. I usually put him down in his cot awake and he will suck his fingers to sleep. This time, something distracted him and he kept playing in his cot. Then, when he realised he was too tired, it was as if he couldn't put himself to sleep so he started grizzling. I left him for a while but eventually picked him up.

As I held him, I swayed and hummed a familiar tune. It's a song I hum every time I make him sleep. I sway from side to side and pace around the room. His head leans against my chest and his tiny arms wrap themselves around my neck and shoulders. It's a little dance we do together. He starts relaxing and melts into me as he drifts off into light sleep.


It was then that I thought about how one day, I wouldn't be able to do this. This little guy will grow up. He will probably resist my attempts to cuddle him. There will come a time, where it will be our last time swaying. It will not be today or in the next week, but one day, it will end.  With that in mind, I continued humming, held him closer and swayed a little longer.

*Photos taken by the talented duo that make up Bitesize Visuals. 

Comments

  1. I have those thoughts too and that's when you have no2!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts