The Miscarriage

The Miscarriage

Bad Blood
I started spotting in my 8th week of pregnancy. It brought on a panic and a distress within me that I hadn’t felt before. I tried to focus on my work but it was so hard to do. Amidst the panic, I managed a comical text to my bestie, Jean. Perhaps a little comic relief would ease the fear, I thought.

Kris: Jean, I’m spotting. I don’t know what to expect. We have a doctor’s appointment soon but I’m scared.

Jean: Ok, it’s normal to be scared. Let me know how it goes.

Kris:  OK.

Kris: Btw, ‘Baby, now we got bad blood’ has taken on a whole new meaning. (Y’know the Taylor Swift song)

Jean: OMG Kris

---
(the following are adaptations of entries from my journal circa Sept 15)

In many ways, throughout history, blood has been a symbol of life. I think of how so much of who we are is in our blood. I think of how from a sample of blood in a test tube, our futures are altered forever- at risk, not at risk, sick, not sick, pregnant, not pregnant, among others. I think of how in some way life comes from blood and blood from life.

In pregnancy, the sight of blood represents quite the opposite. Spotting in my 8th week of pregnancy brought on a panic and vulnerability I had never known.

“Could I possibly lose this baby?”

The thought ran through my mind in intervals, between classes, between conversations, between breaths. That afternoon, as expected but completely contrary to what I had hoped for, there they were again- those ugly brown stains. Light but definitely present. My heart dipped a little and I felt panic start to rise. I was still at school and I had an appointment at 4pm with the doctor.

At the doctors, they drew blood. She said it was the best way to find out how the pregnancy was going. Three test tubes full and unlike before where I was usually cool and calm, I began to feel a little faint. But it helped talking to someone I knew had more expertise than me. The results would be out in a day or two. Until then, I told myself not to panic. What was I thinking? Of course I would panic.

----

The Ultrasound



Hello peanut!

Fast forward to the next week and the bleeding had gotten worst. I think in my head I knew we had lost him (I always felt it was a him) but I was still hoping.

I woke up to my phone ringing at 8 am. It was the hospital telling me I had an ultrasound booked for 12pm. It was the last day of term but there was no way I was going to be able to make it to school and teach.

Before we knew it, we were in Ultrasound Room 1. I remember everything like it was just yesterday.  The sign on the door, the blue curtains, the dim lights and the metal table in the corner.

Our sonographer looked young, perhaps only a few years older than us. She didn’t say very much. We waited, and waited as she surveyed my insides. Then we waited somemore and the silence became uncomfortable. I tried to find a focus point on the ceiling just so I wouldn’t think the worst.  I knew that if I looked at Sam, I would start crying so I tried my best not to.

This was completely different from the ultrasound a week ago where it only took our sonographer 10 seconds to turn the screen towards us and show us the flickering heartbeat.  This time, I knew something was wrong. I began praying with all my heart whilst also knowing that I had to prepare myself for the worst. Then she stopped. She said she needed to get another sonographer in and asked if I had any questions.

I only had one but I couldn’t even ask it properly. “How does it…is… is everything alright?” I mumbled.

She looked at me, tapped my knee (till this day, I call this the pity pat) and said with a caring look, “We will discuss this later ok?”

Then it came. The rush of tears that I couldn’t stop. I looked at Sam and cried even more. By this time he was holding my hand but still telling me that nothing had been confirmed. I looked at him and said, “Didn’t you see the pity pat? It’s not good news.”

The second sonographer came in and the scanning continued for the second time. This time, the tears flowed freely. Then, with the screen turned towards us and in a very somber voice, he showed us our baby and how there wasn’t a heartbeat this time. “I’m sorry, there is no heartbeat. Take all the time you need and we will be back in a while.”

They closed the curtains behind them and almost immediately, Sam grabbed me, his face was on my chest, his arms wrapped around me and he sobbed. We sobbed like we had never sobbed before. I felt a pain in my chest, as if my heart had shattered into a bilion pieces and what remained was hollowness, a void that kept growing. We remained like that for what felt like 5 minutes but in reality, was 45. Finally, we stood up. Sam took my hands in his and prayed. I don’t remember the words, but I knew this was the beginning of a different chapter. One we would only get through with Christ as our Anchor.

After meeting with a doctor and deciding on the natural option for the miscarriage, we went home. On the way, I called my Mum and told her the news, and Sam hearing it all over again started sobbing. It would be like this for a while.  I would cry, he would remind me we would get through this, he would cry, and I would do the same.

Thus began the grieving process.  

Next up: The Grief

Comments

Popular Posts