My kind of date night

It was a cool and windy night, which is really rare in KL, Malaysia. I had just put Josh down to bed. Sam and I were lounging around flicking through pointless things on our phones. I'm ashamed to admit that we waste a lot of time doing this. It's a habit I hope to change. Anyway, finally, I stopped (probably needing to give my eyes a rest) and realised it was Thursday. Thursday, didn't someone mention that there's OUG Pasar Malam (night market) on tonight?

I nudged Sam and basically gave him no chance to say no. Before I knew it, we had handed the baby monitor to Sam's mum (we pretty much threw it at her), sprinted for the persona and were heading straight to those iconic stalls. We found a park in a dark-ish alley and opened the door to a world I had missed for a very, very long time.

As we approached, the familiar smell of gasoline (from electric motors) and deep fried chicken (from every second shop) entwined perfectly together and hung in the air. We made our way through the crowd, most of them carrying red plastic bags of yummy goodies. Our first stop was the Apong shop. Ah, crunchy nutty corny goodness in a mouthful. We bought 6. Then to the char kuey teow shop. The uncle was furiously scrapping his wok to start on his next order, the lines were long, the people were sweating, we knew this was a good place to eat at. Luckily we found a seat (in semi darkness) and although we had to wait a while, found that it was all worth it in the end. I couldn't stop smiling like an idiot as I drove mouthful after mouthful into my mouth. I growled at Sam when he took his share. Like an angry dog, I was protective of my food. I had to remind myself of my wedding vows and consoled myself by promising to come back.

Got my apong, and I'm a happy camper. 

When we were done we continued meandering through the market. I felt so happy, like a kid in a candy shop. I wanted to try everything but Sam reminded me that I was full, two stops ago. After all, I did have apong, keropok lekor, salted egg squid, char key teow and a second round of apong. Before we knew it, we had come to the end of the night. Oh what a magical night it was. Definitely my kind of date night. Good affordable food, great company in comfy attire (oversized t-shirt, crummy shorts). Does it get any better? Highly doubt so.

Comments

Popular Posts